Maria is a graduate of the University of Illinois College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, in Champaign-Urbana, with a degree in Speech Communication. She received her Juris Doctorate from DePaul University College of Law. She is an experienced litigator who tried over 80 cases in DuPage, Kane, Cook and Will counties. Maria has also advocated for her clients in at least an equal number of arbitration hearings. Maria has concentrated primarily in family law matters, including divorce proceedings, post decree petitions, child custody and paternity matters. Maria also handled administrative hearings on behalf of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, and now accepts cases on behalf of those wishing to appeal an indicated finding made against them by DCFS. She also handles residential real estate closings and estate planning matters. Maria is also certified as a Guardian Ad Litem in DuPage and Kane counties.
From 2009 - 2013 Maria taught students in the Paralegal Studies program. She has taught seminars for both the DuPage County Bar Association and The DuPage Association of Women Lawyers. In 2010, Maria and her partners presented a seminar for the DuPage County Bar Association about how to start your own law practice. In 2012, Maria became a certified mediator for family law and civil/personal injury matters. She is a past president of the DuPage Association of Women Lawyers and is the current President of the DuPage Chapter of the Justinian Society of Lawyers.
E-mail: Contact Us
DEPAUL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW, June 1989
- Juris Doctor
ROOSEVELT UNIVERSITY, May 1984
- Paralegal Certification
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, January 1984
- B.A., Speech Communication
- Minor: English, History
- State of Illinois, 1990
- Federal District for Northern District of Illinois, 1990
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2010
Guardian ad Litem Training, DuPage County, Illinois, 2009
Certified Guardian ad Litem, 2012
Divorce and Family Mediation Training, September 2012
- 40 hours, Legally Speaking, Inc.
- Certified Mediator
- Certified as Arbitrator for Kane County and DuPage County Mandatory Arbitration
MULYK, LAHO & MACK, LLC, Glen Ellyn, Illinois, February 2011 - Present
KNOBBE, LAHO & MACK, LLC, Glen Ellyn, Illinois, August 2009 - February 2011
FORTUNATO, KNOBBE, DAVENPORT & ARNOLD, LTD., Westmont, Ilinois, August 2007 - August 2009
- Practice concentrating in all aspects of family law and residential real estate transactions.
THE LAW OFFICE OF MARIA TOLVA MACK, Bolingbrook, Illinois, June 2005 - August 2007
- Represented clients in real estate transactions and civil litigation matters. Prosecuted expungement appeals for the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.
CHILTON, YAMBERT, PORTER & YOUNG, LLP, Chicago, Illinois, September 2003 - June 2005
- Practiced in Geneva and Joliet offices handling own file load consisting of Auto, Premises, and Local Government entity defense. Tried cases to verdict in multiple counties.
QUERREY & HARROW, LTD., Chicago, Illinois, April 1990 - September 2003
- Elected to Partner in 1998. Practice concerned primarily in auto and premesis liability defense. 78 cases tried to verdict. Performed all Litigation services from file opening through case resolution. Extensive discovery experience.
ADJUCT FACULTY, COLLEGE OF DUPAGE PARALEGAL STUDIES PROGRAM, 2009 - 2013
Introduction to Paralegal Studies
Introduction to Legal Research & Writing
DUPAGE COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION, 2008
Faculty Member, Keith Roberts Trial
DUPAGE ASSOCIATION OF WOMEN LAWYERS, 2004
- Trial Advocacy Seminary Moderator and Contributor
DUPAGE COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION
- December 2006: Basic Skills Seminar, Opening Your Own Law Practice
- February 2012: Basic Skills Seminar, So You Want to Open Your Own Law Practice?
- 2011 - 2012: Job Search Skills for the Paralegal - Presented to College of DuPage Paralegal Club, DCBA Paralegal Committee Meeting, and Kane County Bar Association Paralegal Committee Meeting.
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, Top Rated Family Law Attorney, 2016 - 2017
Illinois State Bar Association
DuPage County Bar Association
- Member, E-File Procedure Committee, 2012
- Chair, Ad Hoc Paralegal Committee, 2011 - 2012
- Appointed Member of Committee on Professionalism, 2007
Kane County Bar Association
DuPage Association of Women Lawyers
- Past President, 2006 - 2007
- Officer and Board Member, 2003 - 2008
Justian Society of Lawyers - DuPage Chapter
- Past President, 2013 - 2014
- Officer, 2009 - Present
American Inns of Court - DuPage Chapter
- Member, 2007 - Present
- Team Captain, 2012 - Present